Category Archives: Field Hockey

Alexandra Douwes ’11

Douwes delivered this speech as her keynote address at the 2011 PVC Banquet on May 26, 2011. An All-Ivy, All-Region, and NFHCA National Academic performer, Douwes grew up in the Netherlands before attending Princeton. “I would like to start with a short poem that is a favorite of John Wooden’s, one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time at ... Read More »

Peter Quimby

Peter Quimby, former Deputy Dean of the College and current Headmaster at the Governors Academy, delivered the following address upon receiving the Princeton Varsity Club Award for Distinction at the 2011 PVC Banquet. During his time at Princeton, Quimby served as an Academic-Athletic Fellow for the Field Hockey and Men’s Ice Hockey programs, and as Princeton’s Faculty Athletics Representative to ... Read More »

Amory Rowe ’95 – Field Hockey & Lacrosse

Being a student-athlete at Princeton requires a competitive attitude both on the field and the classroom.  Princeton provides the ability to challenge yourself, to discover how far you can go.  Each practice should be better than the one before, each grade an improvement on the previous semester,  It is not enough at Princeton to give an average effort.  Hard work, ... Read More »

Emily Goodfellow ’76 – Field Hockey, Lacrosse and Squash

Princeton Athletics was where I found my own distinctive voice. This is not to minimize the validation I found in pursuing my major (Religion) or in doing my thesis under the guidance of the late Professor Horton Davies, but simply that there on the playing fields of Lourie-Love and in Jadwin I made my mark and found my friends. I ... Read More »

Hillary Schmidt ’06 – Field Hockey

There are so many memories and experiences I will cherish from my four years as a varsity athlete. A particular game, the last one I played in a Princeton uniform, first comes to mind. It is a perfect example of teamwork, effort, and heart. Princeton field hockey hosted the first round of the NCAA tournament and played Duke, who was ... Read More »

Cackie Buck Rogers ’77 – Field Hockey, Lacrosse

When I arrived at Princeton in the fall of 1973, only one class of women had graduated. We women were still an anomaly and a definite minority. But I was lucky! I had an immediate band of friends because I put on my gym shorts and cleats and headed down to Poe Field for pre-season field hockey. Hockey practice gave ... Read More »

Lauren Ehrlichman ’06 – Field Hockey

The tulle was the last to go. I was standing before my emptied out car, staring in disbelief at the vacant seats that had, for the first time in four years, actually been cleared-off enough to serve their purported purpose of seating human beings. Everything was gone—field hockey balls rolling under the seats and making noises that for years I had ... Read More »

Princeton Varsity Club Princeton Varsity Club  Contact Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy 

© Princeton Varsity Club. All rights reserved.
Scroll To Top